About the GPP-PPL
The UC Riverside School of Public Policy’s Graduate Preparation Program in Public Policy and Leadership (GPP-PPL) will teach you how to solve real-world policy problems and prepare you for entry into the top public policy graduate programs in the U.S. as well as for leadership careers in local, state, and federal public agencies.
Receive a transcript from one of the best public university systems in the U.S., the University of California (UC)
- Get recommendation letters from renowned professors
- Earn a bachelor’s degree from your home university and an advanced certificate in Public Policy and Leadership
- Immerse yourself in cultural and educational experiences in the U.S.
You will be taught by an interdisciplinary team of internationally-renowned professors from diverse disciplinary backgrounds, including Economics, Environmental Sciences, Geography, History, Political Science, and Sociology. Additionally, you will learn from instructors with real-world policy experience who have worked as senior officials or consultants to international and federal policy agencies, state governments, and local governments.
3 years of study at home university
1 year at UCR (36 credits) including graduate courses and a capstone project from your home university
Any of the following options:
1) UCR Master of Public Policy program*
2) MPP program at another university
3) One year of O.P.T. in the U.S.
UCR Master of Public Policy Program
After completing your 3 + 1, you can decide to pursue the Master of Public Policy (MPP) program at the UCR School of Public Policy which you can complete in one year (instead of two years). Through the program, you will benefit from
Taking classes such as:
- “State Governments as Laboratories of Change”
- “Public Leadership and Management”
Attending seminars by eminent U.S. and California policymakers. Past guest speakers have included:
- Robert Reich (Former U.S. Labor Secretary)
- Raymond Orbach (Former Under Secretary, U.S. Dept. of Science)
- Anthony Rendon (Speaker of the California State Assembly)
Undertaking a required internship, which will expose you to how policy analysis is applied in real-world settings in a variety of sectors such as energy, environment, health, law enforcement, and transportation.